Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Common misconceptions.......



The first thing that the nurse says to me at my 6 week follow up is, "Oh you MUST be bottle feeding your twins," and me being the polite person that I am, kindly replied "No, my babies are breastfed." Nothing is more frustrating to me than having people assume that mothers of multiples only formula feed. Its as though there are no mothers out there who are breastfeeding their twins at all, which I know is not the case. With that being said, if you are a mother who uses formula I am not knocking you, I just want other mothers out there to know that breastfeeding multiples is possible and should be considered.

3 comments:

  1. YAY Jenny so excited about your blog!!! YOU ROCK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had people ask if it was even possible to breastfeed twins =) Ummm...yeah....you have two of each! Good for you for starting a blog...I will definitely refer anyone wanting to breastfeed twins to here! Personally I think it is just as easy or easier than formula feeding...definitely easier than pumping and bottlefeeding...but I detest washing bottles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand! I just barely weaned my twin boys this week... at 20 1/2 months! I never supplemented, they never had bottles, they didn't even start solids until 9-ish months. They even tandem nursed with their older sister for over a year before she weaned at 2 years 9 months.

    We were really hoping to make it past their second birthday, but I'm pregnant again and when my milk supply dropped they just totally lost interest and are not at all upset about losing "mommy milk," so we just went with it.

    People tend to look as if I just grew a third eye or something when I try to tell them that breastfeeding is just WAY more convenient, especially with lots of little ones around.

    ReplyDelete